El Color de Nuestra Piel - C. Gorostiza Well, it was not nearly as odd as the other book we had to read in Spanish––Macario (the one about the turkey …)––although, it was still pretty odd.So, I'm guessing that nobody has ever read this book or ever will since it has like one other rating on goodreads and … yeah … it's not that good. So I don't mind giving everything away.The plot, in a nutshell: There's this family whose last name is Torres Flores (HAHAHA IT RHYMES! … really, what kind of a last name is that?!). So you have the nasty, racist, hypocritical father, Don Ricardo, his wife Carmela, and their three children, Jorge, Beatriz, and Héctor. Don Ricardo is a total asshat and is racist towards his own children, Jorge and Beatriz, because they are Mexican––which is odd, because he's Mexican too. Then he is really nice to his son Héctor, who, unlike his siblings, looks like he's white. Héctor, like his father, becomes a total asshat as well and thinks he has a right to be racist towards his older siblings. So he always greets Jorge with "WHAT'S UP, BLACKIE?!" and Beatriz with "HEY THERE, YOU WHORE!" etc. Not a very nice kid, eh? Then we find out that Don Ricardo also has an illegitimate son that he fathered as a teenager and never met … Hmmm. Coincidentally, right after he reveals this, he meets this young man named Manuel Torres––right age, same last name … HMMM––and doesn't seem the least bit fazed. Wow.Yeah so, Manuel is this guy who works at this factory that Don Ricardo owns or something … run by this dude named Zeyer who's American (I think?) and everybody hates him. Soooo Manuel is trying to organize some kind of strike or something with Don Ricardo's help. He and Beatriz also start flirting around with each other, which is very bad because a) Beatriz is supposed to get married to this stupid guy named Carlos the next day, and b) we are under the impression that they might be half-siblings … eew. O_oThen they all find out that there's this scandal … See, the factory produces medicine, aaand apparently they are giving out boxes of expired medicine with fake expiration dates on them and it killed some random kid. This dude, Ramirez, has found out about it and is blackmailing them by saying he'll publish this news everywhere unless they give him a crapload of money. So they try to sort it all out but the news gets published. Uh ohhhh.So, this happens on what is supposed to be Beatriz and Carlos's wedding day, only with the scandal and all Carlos is like "Uhh let's postpone the wedding" and Beatriz is like "NO! I WILL NEVER MARRY YOU!" So they call it off completely. Then Beatriz gets wasted and goes club-hopping with Manuel all night long. WOO! (They are still maybe-siblings at this point, need I remind you)Uh so Beatriz comes home the next day and her parents are pissed. It turns out that Héctor is the one who changed all the expiration dates on the medicine because Zeyer paid him to. Apparently Zeyer had some sort of plan and actually WANTED a scandal, although it was unclear as to why. There's also some hinting that Héctor might actually be Zeyer's son and not Don Ricardo's (heh heh. sucker.) Don Ricardo figures out that Manuel is not really his son, thank God. (AWWWW no incest. What a disappointment.) The scandal thing gets sorted out. Don Ricardo decides he's not going to deal with Zeyer or the factories anymore and instead he wants to focus on his family. Unfortunately, just as he decides this, Héctor shoots himself in the face and dies. (YAAAY! I mean … TOO BAD.) THE END.Yeah, so. Not a very good story, no particularly likable characters, weird plot, weird pacing, and in the end not really much was resolved …