First Truth - Dawn Cook, Kim Harrison Not the type of book that I would normally pick up, since I'm not into epic fantasy. But, one of my friends really liked it so I decided to give it a try. Of course, since the book has such a trashy cover, my family teased me endlessly. My sister was like, "Brigid, what would possess you to pick up this book?" and my mom thought it was like a nasty romance novel or something and I'm like "Gosh it's something Abby [my friend:] told me to read!"Now, I'd like to be all "Don't judge a book by its cover" about this, but the book was pretty much what I expected from any paperback fantasy book: magic magic magic, a boring power-hungry villain, a lot of glaringly bad typos, etc.But it wasn't bad––maybe it wasn't really my thing, but I enjoyed it well enough. While the story itself wasn't all that original or compelling, I liked the interaction between the two main characters, the dialogue, etc. Strell was really cool … Alissa was kind of the typical pouty heroine type, and I didn't like her so much. The villain … uh, I can't even remember his name now, and I read this like a week ago––shows how memorable he is. All he did was stumble around and talk to himself a lot in weird, unrealistic monologues, so I wasn't sure what was so scary about him.Anyway, it was an okay book over all. It's one of those books where I would read the sequel, if say it was sitting next to me right now and I had absolutely nothing else to read. But knowing me, I probably won't get around to reading the rest of them.