Imaginary Girls - Nova Ren Suma It's been about a week since I read this, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. I don't even know how many stars to give it. I originally gave it 4 ... and then I bumped it down to 3 ... and now I'm bumping it back up to 4 again. Ack. I guess it would be at a 3.5?Well, let's just say this book is confusing as heck. As with many YA books nowadays, I wanted to read this because I thought the cover looked super cool. I'm also following Nova Ren Suma on Twitter and she seems like quite a lovely person. I didn't really know what this book was going to be about, except for that it involved something about sisterhood. So I was like, sure why not? I like stories about sisterhood.This book was ... not what I expected, in both good ways and not-so-good ways. If you, like me, pick this up assuming it's realistic fiction––I'll tell you now, it isn't. It's hard to put this book in a category, but I suppose it would fall under fantasy realism or surrealism. It's a bit hard to tell whether it's all real, or all imagined, or ... what. Okay, here's the story:16-year-old Chloe and her sister Ruby are very close, despite being only half-siblings. Chloe is the more subdued one, while Ruby is the popular type––everyone just adores Ruby. She attracts people like flies. Yet, she can never seem to last in relationships long. Ruby and Chloe live near a reservoir, which was once a town called Olive. Ruby claims that Olive and its people are still living there, under the water. At a party, Ruby dares Chloe to swim across the reservoir and bring back something from Olive. But when Chloe begins to swim across, she finds a dead body floating in the water––the body of a girl she knows from school named London Hayes. Chloe goes to live with her father, away from Ruby, for two years. Then Ruby shows up one day and begs Chloe to come back home. Upon returning home, Chloe finds out ... well, that something very creepy and unexpected is going on––something only Chloe and Ruby can see. I'm not going to spoil the story, but as I said, it surprised me. On one hand, this was a good thing. I like to be shocked. I like to be kept on my toes and in suspense. I was flying through the pages, wondering what on earth was going on.The main problem was, I never quite did figure out what was going on. Although Ms. Suma weaves a very captivating and strange story, she kind of leaves the reader in the dark without offering much explanation. By the end, I thought I had it figured out––but even then, I was left wondering how and why. Let's just say, one of the characters has an unnatural ability, and this ability's origins are never really illuminated. It's explained loosely that, somehow, the power comes from the people of Olive (if they really exist), but other than that the reader is left rather puzzled as to why this is so, and why they chose this particular person.Another thing that bothered me was, I felt that teens were being stereotyped throughout the story. This is one of my pet peeves. Ruby was pretty much the only character I was interested in. Chloe and the rest of the characters seemed too preoccupied doing drugs and such, and weren't fleshed out to my satisfaction. I would have liked to have seen a bit more personality in the characters, but their lives seemed to consist of, "Hey, let's go to this place and smoke weed. Hey, let's go to this other place and smoke some more weed." Sigh ...However, I did like the relationship between Chloe and Ruby. As someone who has three sisters, it's something I can relate to. There's one point where Ruby describes the feeling of letting your sister down, or letting something bad happen to your sister, and what a horrible feeling it is. That really got to me. Of course, I'm leaving for college soon so lately I've been feeling bad about leaving all my siblings behind. *Sniffles* But I know Suma herself has a younger sister, and she describes the bond of sisterhood perfectly. Ruby will do anything to protect Chloe, and her determination and desperation to do so are very clear and believable.I also loved Suma's writing style. Even if you're not intrigued by the idea of the plot, the writing is very nice. Suma's descriptions are wonderful, and the book left me with a lot of memorable images.This isn't the best book I've ever read. But I do recommend it. It's mysterious, it's well-written, and it'll keep you thinking.