Bodega Dreams - Ernesto Quiñonez Hello, everyone. I am tired and cranky and sick and stressed out today, so I'll keep this review rather brief. Although I feel bad because I haven't written a good review in a while. I'm not even in the top 100 reviewers this week. *Sobs* But anyway, enough of my pity party.So … I was assigned to read Bodega Dreams for my Writing the Urban Experience class, which is this cool class where we read and write about … urban things. So yeah, it's exactly what the title of the course says. Only it's much more interesting than it sounds. But anyway! Point is, I probably wouldn't have picked up this book on my own. But even so, it was a fairly enjoyable read.To put it simply, this book is The Great Gatsby set in Spanish Harlem, and dealing with drugs rather than bootlegging. Bodega is pretty much a clone of Gatsby. He builds up a fortune on rather sketchy terms, just to win the affection of a woman he's been in love with for years, even though she is already married to another man. So yeah, sounds rather familiar, eh? Throughout the book, I had trouble putting Gatsby out of my mind and not comparing him and Bodega. I mean, it was just impossible. And if you read through the other reviews on here, looks like just about everyone can't help but bring up Gatsby. It got to the point where I wasn't sure whether Quiñonez's mimicry of Fitzgerald was intentional (that is, whether it was supposed to be a retelling), or he was just flat-out stealing the plot.I mean, the idea of modernizing The Great Gatsby isn't a terrible premise. On the other hand, I just kind of felt like a good deal of the plot had already been laid out for Quiñonez, if that's what he was doing. So, it felt a bit like cheating. But, oh well.The lack of originality aside, it was a pretty good read. It was well-written and dealt with some interesting characters.I have to say my favorite part was the dialogue. It was excellently done. In fact, the whole time I was reading this, I was thinking it might make a better movie than a book. Because really, the conversations between the characters were definitely the most interesting part of the whole thing.Beyond that, I really don't have anything else to say. It's not the best or most unique book I've ever read, but the writing––particularly the dialogue––was good, and I liked it over all.