Scarlet - A.C. Gaughen Okay, my review situation has gotten totally out of hand. I read this book almost two months ago and I still haven't reviewed it. ... Plus I have like ten other books to review, and it's just insane. GAHHHH.Well, at this point I've probably forgotten some of the things I was going to say about this book. And, I have to do homework and whatnot. So, I'll just keep this as brief as possible. Basically, I liked this book, but I didn't love it. Will I remember reading it in a few years? Eh, I don't know. But it was at least fairly entertaining to read at the time.Anyway, I thought it was an interesting take on the Robin Hood story (which, admittedly, I don't know as much about as I probably should). The book had its exciting parts and was able to hold my attention most of the time. I just had some issues with the execution. First of all, it felt short and a bit rushed to me. I wanted there to be more character development, because I never felt like I quite connected with anyone in the book. Also, the love triangle felt forced and unnecessary. The other major thing that got on my nerves was that A.C. Gaughen attempted to write the book in dialect––but, it didn't work for me. I love it when an author can effectively pull off a dialect and make it feel natural––for example, how Patrick Ness wrote The Knife of Never Letting Go or how Moira Young wrote Blood Red Road. But Gaughen's only attempt was to replace the word "was" with "were" ... and that was pretty much it. If an author is going to write a book in a dialect, I want him/her to just go all out with it. Make it constant and consistent. Just replacing one word here and there isn't enough of an effort, in my opinion. It just comes off as strange and kind of annoying.So anyway, I thought this book was okay. As I said, it was an interesting spin on the story. For the most part, it was fast-paced and entertaining. I just wish the characters had been more fleshed out and that more effort had gone into the writing style.