The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde, Jeffrey Eugenides "How sad it is! I shall grow old, and horrible, and dreadful. But this picture will remain always young. It will never be older than this particular day of June. ... If it were only the other way! If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that––for that––I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!"I was assigned to read The Picture of Dorian Gray for one of my classes this past semester, and I had been meaning to read it for a while. Fortunately, I was forced to do so––which is good, or I probably would have put it off for ... who knows how long. This was my first experience reading Oscar Wilde's work and I thoroughly enjoyed it.On the surface, this is a great horror story with a classic "Be careful what you wish for" message. I read pretty much all of it in a single evening, and afterward was left feeling like this:But underneath, there is a lot to consider and analyze in this text. It's about immortality vs. mortality, about what it means to be human vs. what it means to be a work of art––and what happens when such roles are reversed.It's fairly concise and for the most part has great pacing. It gets a bit slow in the middle, but otherwise it's full of suspense, and has an intriguing Gothic atmosphere. Wilde writes wonderfully, with a lot of clever dialogue and beautiful descriptions. Each character is distinct from the others, and each one has an important role to play in Dorian's gradual downfall.This is definitely one of my favorite books I've been required to read for school, and also it's become one of my favorite books in general––as someone interested in both literature and art, I found it particularly inspiring and thought-provoking. It's well-written, it's creative, it's clever, it's terrifying ... I really enjoyed it. WOOHOOO THUMBS UP.