Delirium  - Lauren Oliver Well, I am ever so sorry it took me almost a month to review this. The last couple of weeks of school have been insane (end of the year madness and all) and I've been putting off loads of book reviews. Anyway. Gah.Enough about me. Let us turn our attention to Lauren Oliver's wonderful book, Delirium.I don't know where to begin! I really liked this book. Dystopian fiction is hot hot hot nowadays, and it seems like every time I turn around I see a new dystopian book. Am I getting sick of it? Oh, yes. YA books and their dang trends. So, I was somewhat reluctant to read this book, not only because of it was dystopian but because it sounded too cheesy for me.The plot in a nutshell: Lena is a teenage girl living in a society where love is considered a disease. Therefore, everyone is stripped of their emotions via brain operation once they turn 18. Lena is of course approaching the magical age, and of course it's right before she's supposed to get the operation that she falls in love.Sorta reminded me of Uglies (which I love!), and has a similar plot line: everyone is supposed to get an operation that takes away their emotions, main character has best friend who questions the operation, main character falls in love with rebellious boy who also questions the operation ...However, Lauren Oliver puts an original spin on a somewhat predictable plot. Lena and Alex (aka male-love-interest) are likable characters who share a compelling romance. However, I think my favorite character was Hana, Lena's sweet but rebellious best friend who questions their society's boundaries––especially when it comes to what music they're allowed to listen to. (That would totally be me.)However, what stuck with me most was Oliver's writing style and imagery. There are three scenes in particular that struck me, although they're all spoilers––so you know, if you haven't read it, don't click on the spoiler. Just trust me that there is some very powerful stuff in this book.1. The scene with the raid during the party––with the scary dogs and people trampling each other and whatnot. *shudders* That part felt very real to me, and boy was it frightening. That was the point where I was like, "Dang, this book is GOOD!" From then on, I couldn't tear myself away from it.2. The part where Lena saw her mother's cell and how "love" was written all over the wall, and discovered how her mom had escaped through a hole in one of the O's. Such an interesting and vivid image! And symbolic too, because it's like, she escaped ... through love. That makes it sound so stupid. But I LOVED IT.3. THE ENDING OH GOODNESS THE ENDING. The ending was freakin' gorgeous. The way it was written was so powerful and so amazing, I can't get over it. To be honest, I'm almost disappointed there's going to be a sequel. I think Lauren Oliver could have left it as a stand-alone. (Why does EVERYTHING have to be a series?!) Yes, it would have been a rather ambiguous ending, but it would have given the reader a lot to think about. I just love the note she ended it on, where Lena was just running and not knowing what would happen to Alex, but she still felt that love inside her and knew nothing could take it away from her. (Although one thing ... Sometimes Lena would start talking in second person––that is, she directly addressed the audience and I wondered what the purpose/context of that was. Kinda confused me. But, maybe we'll find out what it means later ...)Well, I guess that's all I have to say on the matter. Even if you're skeptical of the dystopian craze, I highly recommend this book. I'm looking forward to the sequel (aka hoping desperately it doesn't screw up the story for me) and I also hope to read Oliver's other book, [b:Before I Fall|6482837|Before I Fall|Lauren Oliver|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1361044695s/6482837.jpg|6674135].