Pandemonium - Lauren Oliver Actual rating: 3.5 StarsOh wow, I read this exactly a month ago, so I guess it's about time I got around to reviewing it. On top of that, I read the whole thing in like two sittings so now my memory of it is a bit foggy. It kind of went by in a blur. So when I try to remember it my brain is kind of like:Uhhh, so what happened in this book?Oh yeah. So, Lena has escaped into the Wilds to hang out with other rebel people. Alex has supposedly died. Although Lena has now gotten away from the cure, there's still a matter of freeing everyone else from it. So, she and her new friends set out to do that. On top of that, Lena starts to fall in love with someone new ...Over all, I enjoyed this book, although I did have some mixed feelings about certain aspects of it. I really liked Delirium and I was honestly a bit nervous about there being a sequel. I loved the ending of the first book and I thought it could have been very powerful as a standalone. But ... you know, everything has to be a series. So, oh well.Thus, I went into this book not really knowing what to expect. And so, I guess you could say that this book exceeded my expectations. But I didn't really have any concrete expectations to begin with.I did think that the plot of this one was better. While I enjoyed the first book and thought the writing and characters were good, it was a little lacking in the plot department. There wasn't a whole lot of action except in a few key places. I thought that Pandemonium was more exciting and action-packed, and kept me glued to the page. The new characters were also likable. I was kind of ticked off that Alex was kind of replaced by Julian in a way ... I mean, just that it was kind of like, "Oh, your old love interest is gone? Here's a convenient new one!" I just knew this was going to happen. But, I did still like Julian and I thought the romance between him and Lena was developed nicely. I also liked that there was a gay couple in this book ... although I would've liked to have seen more of them so they didn't feel so much like "token" characters. At least the topic was addressed, because I spent a while being like, "Wait ... what do they do about gay people?" Since there's the whole thing where they keep boys and girls separate to prevent them from falling in love. And I was like:So, at least that was kind of acknowledged. I guess the only major thing that bothered me was the time shifts. There was this constant switching between "then" and "now." With all the flashbacks/flash-forwards, it got kind of confusing. It took me a while to figure out the gist of what was going on; it was a bit hard to get used to. Ultimately, it wasn't too bad, but I wasn't sure why it was necessary and I found it annoying sometimes.UGGHHH and the ending.Alex is still alive ... OF COURSE. I knew this was going to happen from the first page. It was just so predictable. But still, that doesn't stop it from being any less aggravating. I'm not sure how to feel about it. I mean, I'm happy he's still alive of course. But this also means that a typical love-triangle is going to ensue. And Lena is obviously going to end up with Alex because that's how these love triangle things always play out. The girl always goes with the first guy ... like ALWAYS.So yeah, if you didn't read the spoiler and you plan on reading this book ... Let's just say that it has a cliffhanger/shock ending (that isn't really all that shocking). And I don't think I like where this is headed.However, I plan to read the third book because ... well, I do want to know what happens. ;)