The Bane  - Keary Taylor Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book!Note: Just to avoid any confusion, this book was originally published under the title Eden and was republished in March 2013 under the title The Bane.In the future, a technology called TorBane––a combination of human DNA and cybernetic matter––is able to fix all medical problems, from curing diseases to regenerating organs and limbs. But then the cybertechnology goes out of control, and starts taking over people's bodies and minds until they become half human and half machine––transforming into beings who become known as the Bane.Although she knows the story well, Eve doesn't remember any of this happening. She doesn't recall anything before she stumbled into Eden––a colony of survivors. Since then, she has become a strong fighter among them. But when a stranger named West arrives in Eden, Eve soon begins to discover secrets about her past that will make her question everything she thought she knew.Over all, I found The Bane to be an addicting read. I don't think it was particularly memorable or thought-provoking, but it was at least fun for the most part. I struggled a bit through maybe the last fourth of it or so, but most of the time it kept me interested.I thought the concept of this book was intriguing; it's an interesting spin on the zombie novel. The Bane are somewhat similar to the concept of zombies, in that they're mindless humanoid creatures that have taken over the world. But it's interesting that instead of being the typical "walking dead," they're evil cyborgs instead. Although zombies and cyborgs are both pretty common in sci-fi, I'd never really seen the two things combined before. I don't think the idea of TorBane was very believable or scientifically possible, but at least the idea was interesting.The plot was also pretty exciting and had some twists I didn't expect. The pacing was a little choppy, especially in the beginning, but I thought it got better as it went along.The characters in this book fell flat for me, however.Eve was a tolerable protagonist at least, but kind of a Mary Sue––she was basically just good at everything. I'm rather tired of seeing these YA female protagonists that are passed off as being "badass" just because they're great at beating people up. There has to be more to a character than that. (Not to mention, her name is not very subtle … I mean, Eve … in Eden. Oy vey.) I had mixed feelings about her turning out to be a Bane. There were some hints of her starting to lose her mind from it of course, but she was sane most of the time which seemed kind of … too convenient.The two love interests, West and Avian, are pretty generic. Avian is the "best friend guy who's always been there for the girl" and West is the typical "mysterious stranger bad boy." And there's not much to distinguish them from each other personality-wise. I was also not happy about how the love triangle was "resolved" in the end. It seemed like Eve was just like, "You know what, I decided I just love Avian. So yeah." There wasn't really any reason why she spontaneously decided this.In the end, I found The Bane to be mostly entertaining, but I didn't feel as much of a connection to the characters as I'd hoped I would. I liked it enough to possibly read the sequels, but it's not at the top of my priorities list.