The Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick After spending a long time in a mental health facility, Pat Peoples returns home and is ready to get his life back together. Pat is convinced that his destiny is to become more physically fit and to read more classic literature so that his estranged wife Nikki will come back to him. But now that he's at home, things aren't quite right. His family refuses to talk about his wife, his favorite football team (the Philadelphia Eagles) keeps losing games, and now a strange woman named Tiffany is starting to show interest in him …This is one of the rare cases in which I saw the movie before reading the book. It's also one of the rare cases in which I think the movie did a better job with a lot of aspects of the story … but more on that later.I see I'm not the only person who thought of this book as kind of being an adult version of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The narration was very similar, I thought––very simple and to-the-point, with a lot of little philosophical tidbits frequently thrown in. And it deals with some of the same issues––particularly mental health. (The stories are quite different, though.)For the most part, I thought it worked … but there were times when I was kind of confused by the structure of the narration. I think it was mentioned a few times that Pat was writing this story down, like a journal type of thing. But then a lot of it was in present tense, which felt kind of odd for a journal format. And … I don't know. It was just unclear for me.I liked the story for the most part. I think there's an important message about how things don't always turn out the way we anticipated, and sometimes it's better to just let things fall into place rather than to fight to get to an implausible goal. There are numerous "happy endings" that could happen, and not all of them are what we expect. However, there were some things in the execution of the story that bothered me.Probably the biggest problem for me was that I didn't feel most of the characters were very strong. Pat has a distinctive narrating voice and is a pretty good character over all … but I didn't feel like anyone else in the book was that interesting or memorable. (I don't want to constantly compare the book to the movie, but I felt the movie did a better job of characterizing everyone, even the minor characters. I thought Tiffany in particular was a much stronger character in the film.)There were also a lot of little "quirks" that I just didn't like. For one, I got kind of tired of Pat constantly talking about how he thinks of his life as being a movie. It's the kind of thing that could have just been mentioned once and that would've been fine. But the constant "my life is a movie, my life is a movie" got pretty annoying for me.Also, there was Pat's tendency to keep mentioning his (token black) friend Danny in a kind of … offensive manner. For example:"He is also wearing a watch with diamonds all over the face, which Danny would call Jake's bling-bling."… *Cringe*There was also a point in the book where the narration was written in letters, which might have been okay if it had just been like, two or three letters … but it was like, ten. And that got rather tiresome in my opinion.Also, I really hate football so … the numerous football parts were very boring for me.But other than that, I thought this book was a fairly good read. I didn't think it was amazing, but it wasn't bad either. It's not executed perfectly, but it's a cute story.Anyway, I think the book and movie are both worth experiencing. (But unlike me, you should all probably read it before watching it … haha.)