Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #1) - Elise Stokes Cassidy Jones is an everyday fourteen-year-old girl, until she has an accident with chemicals in the laboratory of a famous geneticist. Suddenly, Cassidy discovers that she has acquired superhuman powers––strength, speed, and heightened senses. And when the geneticist goes missing, it's up to Cassidy and the geneticist's son Emery to solve the mystery.I downloaded this book about a year ago when it was free on Amazon, because I'd heard some good things about it. But I put it off for a long time because I was still kind of doubtful about it. And I have to admit … part of what put me off is that I hate the cover. Sorry, but … I really do not like that cover. And yes, I do kind of judge books by their covers because I'm a horrible person.But despite the fact that I think this book needs a cover makeover, the content was actually pretty good. Not the best thing I've ever read, but it kept me entertained. Probably the best thing about this book is Cassidy herself. She has a strong narrating voice with a lot of character and humor. Over all, I found her to be a realistic teenage character and someone I could easily relate to. For the most part I was a fan of the other characters as well. I loved Cassidy's family; they're adorable and I like how they play an important role in the story. Emery is also a very likable character and I enjoyed the dynamic between him and Cassidy. Probably the only character who fell really flat for me was the villain, Arthur King. He just felt really stereotypical and two-dimensional to me. I'm not a fan of the whole "MWAHAHAHA *rubs hands together*" type of antagonist. It's just an annoying cliché.But anyway, I thought the story was exciting––it had some slow bits, but over all it kept me interested.The only other thing that took away from it a bit for me was that it felt a bit … immature for me, I guess. Even though the characters are in high school, it felt pretty middle-grade for me. If the characters had maybe been in middle school instead, it would have been more believable for me. There was something about the tone of the book that just didn't feel quite mature enough for it to be YA. But, maybe that's just me. Ultimately, I enjoyed the book. It was a fun and light read, with a pretty solid cast of characters. I wasn't left dying to read the sequel, but I'd be interested in possibly picking it up at some point.