Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk Well ... I guess I have to break the first two rules of Fight Club. TROLOLOLO. Seriously though, the joke gets so overused so ... yeah. We can all now acknowledge that I am talking about Fight Club and then get on with our lives. Anyway, I should probably be doing homework or something else productive, but I think instead I'm just going to stare at my computer screen and try to figure out how on earth to review this book.Basically, Fight Club is the story of an unnamed narrator who suffers from insomnia and is basically just fed up with his monotonous life and consumerist culture and the world. Then he meets Tyler Durden, who comes up with the idea of Fight Club––a group that secretly meets in the basements of bars and holds ... well, fights. And then of course, things progress and spiral out of control and soon it's a big pile of crazy. That's kind of the plot in a nutshell, although I don't think one can properly do justice to this book just by describing what happens in it. It's not really about the story as much as it's about what the story does to your mind. I mean, it's just insane. I'm not going to spoil anything, just going to say that there's some pretty mind-blowing stuff in it, especially towards the end. I also love the way this book is written. The writing's very simple, very to-the-point, but it really has an impact. It's like the book itself is punching you in the face ... which of course, is quite fitting. “At the time, my life just seemed too complete, and maybe we have to break everything to make something better out of ourselves.”“Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything. Nothing is static, everything is evolving, everything is falling apart.”“You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.”“I see in the fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars, advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place, we have no Great war, no Great depression, our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives, we've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off.”I guess the book comes off as being pretty pessimistic, and maybe that's one downside to it. But at the same time, it didn't make me feel too depressed. Underneath the pessimism there's still a lot of dark humor and wit to the whole thing. And I just thought it did a great job capturing that feeling that we all have––that restlessness when we feel like life is just the same day after day. ... And okay, I admit, I saw the movie before I read the book. I know, shame on me. But I've only seen it once and it was like more than a year ago. Anyway, I thought the movie was the bomb. And after reading the book, I see that it was really true to the original, and it does a pretty genius job of making a pretty confusing book make a lot of sense. Also ... I prefer the movie's ending. Shhh.Part of it is because I love this song. *Rocks out*