Gone - Michael  Grant Well, I'm trying to write reviews more often. But I don't have anything to review today, so this will be one of my days where I revisit one of my old reviews and try to like ... write it in proper English. Since, a few years ago, I wasn't very good at doing that.So, obviously, I didn't care for this book. I remember seeing it around in book stores a lot, and thinking it looked kinda cool and mysterious. And it sounded like an interesting premise––the adults just disappearing and whatnot. You know, that whole plot line where there are no adults and only kids, and then Lord-of-the-Flies-esque violence ensues. (Still pretty cool, even if it's a cliché.) Also I heard a lot of good things about it, so I decided to give it a try.Pretty much right away, I had a feeling this book was just not going to do it for me. The first thing I had issues with was the writing style. There were a lot of fragmented sentences with not much purpose, which is one of my biggest pet peeves. It was also just very "telling" rather than showing, which is another thing I always find problematic. Another issue was all the characters there were to keep track of. Having a few main characters is all right, so long as they're all thoroughly developed and interesting. In this book, I felt like there were too many people and that they weren't distinct enough. At first there were several different story lines, and it was confusing as to how they were related to each other besides the fact that they took place in the same world.Furthermore, I felt like the author took too much plot into his hands. He added too many plot twists and characters into the mix, until it was a bit too chaotic. There were the adults disappearing, people getting superpowers, talking animals, people growing tentacles out of their dismembered limbs... I remember describing this book to my friend and she was like, "Um ... this book sounds unhealthy." In the end, the only thing that kept me reading was a mild curiosity to find out if the plot would go anywhere or if anything would be explained. Instead, it dragged out for too long and nothing was resolved at the end. At the time I read it, I didn't know there were going to be six whole books. And, well, this book didn't leave me feeling patient enough to sit through five more volumes just to get some answers. I didn't feel like it was worth it, so I gave up after this one.A BRIEF UPDATE:: Due to all the similar comments I'm receiving on this review, allow me to make one thing clear. I AM NOT GOING TO READ THE REST OF THE BOOKS. If that makes you upset, sorry. But I'm not. I have a shit-ton of books I want to read/finish and the remainder of this series is just not on my list of priorities. Yes, I know not everything is going to be solved in the first book. But at least some loose ends should be tied up so that each individual book is still satisfying as a standalone. At the end of this book, I just felt like the author had thrown in a bunch of strange plot twists and left the reader with too many questions. Sure, suspense is a good thing to a certain extent, but not when it's overbearing in comparison to the telling of the actual story. Look, I love series––but I love series where each book is its own story while also being a part of a bigger picture. Whereas, I felt like this was just a snippet of an unnecessarily long story without having its own unique story within it. Maybe you like that kind of story, but I don't. All righty? And it's more than that. Even if it did feel like a complete, satisfying story, I just didn't like anything else about the book. I didn't like the style, I didn't like the characters. Those are things that won't change in the next books. I'm sure more questions are answered in the later books. I know how series work, I'm not a moron. I simply don't feel compelled to read the rest of the series because, well, frankly ...You're entitled to your opinion. If you love this book, and this series, good for you. I personally disliked almost everything about this book and that is a solid reason not to continue with the series, especially when I have so much else to read. So, please. Stop telling me to read the rest of the books. I'm not going to. I agree to disagree with anyone who likes this book, and if you can't do the same for me ... well, you're just being immature.