Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein "He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie."Elizabeth Wein's beautiful historical YA novel chronicles the friendship between teen girls Julie and Maddie during WWII. To say too much about Julie might give away some important plot twists, but ... let's just say that Julie is a prisoner who has been forced to write her account. And Maddie is a young pilot and Julie's best friend. I'm finding it hard to describe this book accurately. It's one of those books that I had somewhat mixed feelings about when I first finished it, but now that I've digested it for a while I'm realizing how much of it has stuck with me. There are many different layers to the story, and the point of view(s) in it can be confusing. First of all, Julie is referred to under several different names, and on top of that she sometimes writes about herself in the third person rather than in first person. There's also a major narrator change in the middle of the book that really confused me at first. To say too much would be giving things away, but basically this change in narrator is quite a plot twist. In other words ... I found this book to be really confusing at first, and when I thought I had it figured out, the huge plot twist made me super confused again.By the end of the book, though, it all made sense to me (I think). But despite how confusing this book could be, I really enjoyed it in the end. What's most compelling about the story is the strong friendship between Julie and Maddie. In a sea of YA books that are all about romance, it's refreshing to see a novel that focuses on friendship. In a sense, this is still a love story, but it's a story of platonic love between friends ... which can be just as intense as romantic love. “It's like being in love, discovering your best friend.”Julie and Maddie are both very compelling and lovable characters. I wish there were more books about badass girls that are best friends. (Also Jamie, Julie's brother, is a truly awesome character. I'm in love.)Oh and be warned, this book has a killer ending. It's quite a genius ending, really. It's very ironic how we spend the first half of the book believing that Maddie is dead ... and not only is Maddie alive, but she ends up being the one who kills Julie. Dang.For those of you who don't want to be spoiled, I'll just say that the ending is pretty mind-blowing and not what I expected at all. But I thought it was really brilliant. Brilliant and sad as hell. Minor complaint about the ending: It went on for kind of too long after Julie died, in my opinion. Part of me was almost hoping it would turn out she wasn't really dead. But that would have been pretty dumb, considering we already got that plot twist with Maddie not really being dead. From a writer's standpoint I thought Julie's death was necessary to the story, but from a normal person's standpoint ... I wished she didn't have to die. She was so cool.But basically, this book is awesome and very different from most books I've read. It's moving, clever, funny, and heartbreaking all at once. So ... yeah. I love it. Go read it.