Lucas - Kevin Brooks Amazing book. Uh-may-zing. From the second I picked it up, I wanted to just keep reading and reading. It was one of those books that everyone read a few years ago that I hadn't read, so I figured I'd check it out. I expected something light, you know, a sort of "transition" read. But this is a very dark and haunting story, the kind that I won't be forgetting for a while––maybe not ever. Kevin Brooks does a fantastic job with unfolding the plot and making the reader wonder about abstract concepts about human nature without being preachy. He does this primarily through his characters. I felt like all the characters in this book were very believable, very real. The dialogue was great and also realistic. I also liked being in the main character's head; not only was she very funny and likable, but she had a lot of nice insightful moments about life, too. I also loved how Brooks made Lucas such a complex character, so that even as the reader you can't be sure whether he's a "good guy" or not––or whether it even matters. Sure, this book will make you hate humanity and want to curl up in a corner and cry. But it's worth it, because it's a truly amazing emotional journey. I'm definitely checking out more of Brooks's stuff as soon as I can, because this book was brilliant. :)