Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens - Libba Bray Wow, it's been a couple of weeks since I read this, so I should probably get around to reviewing it now!First of all, you have no idea how thrilled I was to get an ARC of this book. I entered to win it, and then totally forgot about it––since, you know, I never win anything. And then, out of nowhere, I get it in the mail! AAAHHH! *SQUEE* I was so ecstatic to get this. THANK YOU, GOODREADS!So, Beauty Queens is what you'd get if you took "Lost" and "America's Next Top Model" and smashed them together, making it a hilarious satire of modern-day society. It's the story of a plane-full of beauty pageant girls who crash on a mysterious island where they all must survive. As you can imagine, chaos ensues.Probably only Libba Bray could pull off something like this. If I saw this book, and it was by any other author, I'd say, "Beauty queens fighting on an island. SOUNDS DUMB." Same thing with Going Bovine. "Kid with mad cow disease battles evil fire giants? SOUNDS DUMB." Yet, Libba Bray takes the risk with these ideas and it pulls off big-time. She's crazy and hilarious, and I love it. :)Beauty Queens is full of pop culture references––something I normally don't like, but in this case they have a purpose and are pulled off well. It also has footnotes and commercial breaks! (MAXIPAD PETS, ANYONE? If you want to know ... Just read it. And laugh hysterically. Libba Bray is a comedic genius.) There are lots of other small but hilarious details that make this book so enjoyable. For example, Miss New Mexico has an airline food tray lodged in her forehead throughout the book, which no one attempts to remove. But not only is this book funny, it also has a great cast of characters. Even though all of them are beauty pageant girls, they all have unique traits and the relationships between them are developed nicely.If you are a die-hard Libba Bray fan like I am, I believe you will love this. Not sure how to describe it in comparison to her other books. Gemma Doyle is still my favorite––and Beauty Queens isn't as frightening/epic/etc. And it's not quite as absurd as Going Bovine. It's more of a comedy than her previous books. But basically, this book has everything. Humor, adventure, romance, giant snakes, pirates ... Need I say more? :)