The Diviners

The Diviners - Libba Bray OH GOD OH MAN OH GOD OH MAN.So yeah, basically this book left me like this:I've been a die-hard Libba Bray fan ever since the fabulous Gemma Doyle books. I also loved the insane, bizarre adventure of [b:Going Bovine|6512140|Going Bovine|Libba Bray|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320391025s/6512140.jpg|4733312]. And [b:Beauty Queens|9464733|Beauty Queens|Libba Bray|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1289410187s/9464733.jpg|10808145] was hilarious––although I thought it was a bit lacking in the usual strong storytelling element that Bray's other books have. However, that element is back again in The Diviners.I just about died of happiness when I first heard of this book. I adore Libba Bray, and I adore the 20's era (and sadly, there aren't a lot of YA books about it). The combination sounded just ... awesome.And oh lord, it was. Just imagine the 20's––the roaring 20's, with the speakeasies and the flappers and all that wonderfulness. Now imagine it with scary-ass demons and ghosts and murders and psychics and everything mixed in. It's like ... all my favorite things in one book.Okay okay, so a slightly more in-depth look at all the things I love about this book.The plot:I think I've already made this pretty clear, but obviously I loved the plot. I love the mystery of it, the suspense, the horror. Libba Bray masterfully blends the realism of the historical era with the horror/fantasy elements––just as she did with the Gemma Doyle books and the Victorian era. The story in itself is intriguing on its own, and the historical element also adds a lot to the atmosphere of it. There were a lot of twists in the story that I didn't see coming; and yeah, some of them were a little bizarre, but I was willing to go along with them. Over all, the story was too exciting for me to put the book down.The setting:Obviously, a lot of thought and research went into building the world in this novel. Libba Bray effectively creates the dark, intriguing, gritty atmosphere of the 20's, of all the secret parties and the corruption everywhere. It makes a terrific setup for the fantasy plot. In fact, it made me wonder why there aren't more fantasy books that take place in the 20's. (Seriously, if anyone knows of any, let me know.) The characters:I think the only small issue I had with the characters in this book was that some of them felt a bit reminiscent of Gemma Doyle characters; for instance, Theta reminded me of Felicity and Mabel reminded me of Anne. (Forgive me if I'm mixing up character's names, it's been a while since I read this or Gemma Doyle.) But even so, I found the characters to be well-developed.I found Evie to be a very likable main character. It's refreshing to have a YA female protagonist who is quite imperfect; Evie is far from a pure Mary Sue. She has a lot of flaws and a lot of sass, but she is easy to sympathize with and she noticeably develops throughout the story (without it seeming too rushed or unrealistic). The other characters were also terrific ... and sorry, I'm a little foggy on all their names because I read this months ago. But anyway. There were a lot of characters, but I found they were all properly fleshed-out and had detailed backstories that made them understandable and believable. They each had a role to play, which was important considering there were so many of them. The romance:What I really liked about the romance in this book was that it took me by surprise. Let's just say, for those of you who don't want to read the spoiler ... It didn't go in the direction that I would expect most YA books to go, and instead went in a direction I found more likable and realistic.For those of you who have read it (or don't care about spoilers): I was convinced for the first half of the book or so that Evie would fall in love with Sam ... and that was kind of pissing me off because at first he struck me as the stereotypical "bad boy" that all the girls in YA books fall for. And although he became more intriguing than that over the course of the story, I still didn't really like the idea of him and Evie as a couple. And I felt so bad for Jericho because he obviously liked Evie and was just walking around like a sad puppy dog and I loved him so much and GAHHH my heart was breaking. And so when Evie actually ended up liking him back it was just like OH THANK THE LORD. So ... yeah. It made me really happy. Also it's kind of weird that he's part-robot or whatever but um ... COOL I guess. I still like them together.Well okay, I'm still trying to get through all the reviews I have to do (I FINALLY HAVE LESS THAN 10 TO DO, IT'S A MIRACLE), and I think that about sums up my adoration of this book. It may have been my favorite Libba Bray book yet, and it was definitely one of my favorite books of the year. It was exciting, gripping, atmospheric, and full of intriguing characters. Two thumbs up from me, and I can't wait for the second book. :)Pre-review crap under the spoiler:---------CURRENTLY READING THIS AND I AM SO EXCITED. A;DKJF;AKDFLSKJ.----------Pre-review:It just hit me that this book comes out in just about two months.HAVE I MENTIONED HOW MUCH I DESPERATELY WANT THIS BOOK?!I mean, Libba Bray + jazz era?God, I can't wait.