The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1)

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) - Hmm my old review for this kind of sucked. I feel like I've rewritten this review like twenty times, but oh well. I guess I just can't do this book justice. Percy Jackson & the Olympians is one of my favorite series, despite the fact that I think it's probably aimed more toward 12-year-old boys, and ... well, I'm a 19-year-old girl. But I can't help it. I fell in love with these books when I was around 12 and I never outgrew them (which is something I can't say for most books I liked when I was 12).You know what's freaky? So, my friend and I went to a Rick Riordan book signing recently. (And that's not the freaky part, although seeing him in person was pretty freaky.) Anyway, we're standing there and I'm like, "OMG ... A lot of these kids were, like, not even born yet the first time we read The Lightning Thief." We were kind of surrounded by little 7-year-old boys it seemed like. But anyway, IT WAS STILL AWESOME. And really there was no point to this story except to prove my point ... that I have loved these books for a long, long time.Everything about these books is just totally lovable. The characters are great, the character relationships are nicely developed, the story is exciting, all the Greek mythology is tied in brilliantly, the humor is laugh-out-loud hilarious. Mannn, I could go on and on. And they just get better with each book. I frequently pick these up and read parts of them just to make me feel better. They're an instant pick-me-up. Also, random side note: the movie was just ... horrible. I could go on a long rant about it, but I won't because that would be annoying. Let's just focus on how awesome the book is.These books are just beastly awesome, and if you have not read them I pity your depraved soul. Go read them now. If you have read the book and seen the movie, I am crying with you right now. If you have seen the movie and not read the book … well, something is wrong with you. Go read the book, for crying out loud!